Thursday, September 3, 2009

Parents, Teachers, and You!

Welcome back to school everyone! I hope that you all had a restful summer and are enthused to be back.

Let's try something new. Let's encourage your parents and teachers to share in the writing of this blog. Here is my challenge:

I want all of you, students, teachers, and parents, to remember a time when you were in school that was your most wonderful memory. Then tell us what was your worst. How did these incidents make you feel? How did it change you?

I do not want to put limitations on this, but let's keep the language clean and accessable for all. Thanks so much for participating.

13 comments:

Mrs. Whelan said...

My best memory of school is from my Junior year of high school. I had a math teacher, Mr. Yingst, who was so very funny, and made algebra fun.

One day he gave us a challenge. We were to solve a problem as quickly and accurately as possible. The person who won got a reward of some kind or another.

I was so eager to beat everyone in class that I was focusing only on my math problem. I guess I was chewing on my lip, because when I looked up, Mr. Yingst was sitting in front of me, staring at me and chewing on his lip. I began laughing so hard I cried. He sure made algebra fun.

My worst memory comes from my 7th grade history teacher whom I will not name. For some reason, she did not like me, and would say things to me in front of the class that would embarrass or humiliate me.

I remember standing up in front of class giving a presentation on a certain topic and watching my teacher stare at me and frown. I felt so very dumb. She, I believe, is the reason why history is not one of my favorite subjects.

Anonymous said...

My best memory from school was when my english teacher made me feel comfortable when giving a speech. She always made jokes before and after the speech. It changed me because I do not feel that nervous when giving a speech.

My worst memory would be in 10th grade. It was my turn to do a speech and before i got up there my face was really red. I felt so embarrassed.


nikki

Anonymous said...

My best memory of school is from my Sewing Class in 7th grade. I got to make my Dad T-shirt and a pillow for my brother for Christmas. I felt so proud when they opened the gifts that I had made for them.

My worst memory is from my Junior year of high school. I was stood up by my date for the Turn-about Dance. All my friends wanted to beat the guy, but I decided he wasn't worth the effort.

Kim

Unknown said...

ONE OF MY FAVORABLE MEMORY DURING MY PAST SCHOOL YEARS WAS PROBABLY FROM PRESCHOOL THROUGH ABOUT SECOND GRADE.
WHY? BECAUSE WE WERE THE FOR QUITE A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME BUT NOT ONLY THAT BUT BECAUSE ALL WE DID WAS EXPRESS ARE SELF BY DRAWING ART WORK WITH COLORFUL PAINT -ALTHOUGH MOST KIDS AT THE PAINT.IT WAS PRETTY SWEET JUST DRESSING UP IN ADULT CLOTHING FROM HIGH HEELS TO UNIQUE HATS.






MY WORST MEMORY OF SCHOOL IS SCHOOL IN GENERAL! BUT IF I HAD TO PICK ONE WORST MEMORY IS PROBABLY MY FRESHMEN HIGH SCHOOL YEAR.
WHY? BECAUSE I WAS HAVING TROUBLE WITH "FRIENDS"-WHICH WE ARE NO LONGER.NOT ONLY THAT BUT THE FACT THAT FINDING MYSELF TILL THIS DAY AS A JUNIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL.I SIT WITH ONE GIRL AT LUNCH THAT I CAN CALL MY BEST FRIEND FOR NOW BUT I THINK THAT SHE'LL BE AROUND FOR QUITE SOME TIME CONSIDERING SHE HAS BEEN SINCE KINDERGARTEN LITERALLY.BUT AT THE BEGINNING OF FRESHMAN YEAR IT WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY EMBARRASSING TO SIT ALONE WITH ONLY ONE PERSON AT LUNCH, USUALLY IT WAS I SITTING WITH THE "POPULAR KIDS" BUT NOT THIS YEAR THIS YEAR I AM NOT EMBARRASSED TO SIT AS A "LONER". I ACTUALLY ENJOY IT! ITS BETTER THEN HAVING DRAMA AND PEOPLE THAT THINK THEM SELF'S COOL JUST BECAUSE THEY SIT WITH THE POPULAR KIDS .NOT ME I DON'T HAVE TO THINK I CAN SIT AT-NOT THE BEST TABLE AT THE LUNCH ROOM AND NOT THINK I COOL BECAUSE I KNOW I'M COOL.

-JOCELYN VILLALOBOS

Unknown said...

My best school memory is when my teacher said that she scared her son.This is how she told us. It all started when her son was gonna get in the shower .She noticed that that was her perfect chance to get him back for all the times he would scare her. So anyway she sat in the shower waiting very patiently for to get out of his room .Once he got in the bathroom she slowly opened the curtain and said" BOO " She said that she has never heard him scream so high that it was impossible to sound like a human bean .She could not calm him down she almost called the ambulance.It was so funny she had me crying. It was a good moment for me but for her not so much.


My worst school moment was when I got an answer wrong and the teacher explained the whole school lesson in front of the class.She made me feel so dump my hands were getting really sweaty and I almost ran out of class.Everyone was staring at me .Some people say that this isn't embarrassing you try to be in my possession. That was the worst day of my life!

- Melina Villalobos (Jocelyn Villalobos little sister)

Unknown said...

My favorite school memory is when my teacher said that his baby girl would stain her clothes with poop.Even when she wore a diper. It was very funny .He almost had my class crying.He said it with a shocking voice.But what was funnier was when he said "OMG I was so shocked !" While pulling his tiny mohak. Now that's a perfect example of a good school memory


My worst school memory is when I got my first D IN Science . I got only 2 wrong 10 . I guess the substitute didn't like me. The test wasn't even hard ,that's what made me think she didn't like me . Oh well thats the past. That's my worst school memory because i'm a straight A student !

- Kathhleen Villalobos( Jocelyn 's little sister)

Anonymous said...

My best school memory is from 5th grade. In 5th grade my teacher read to us every day after lunch. My favorite set of books was Anne of Green Gables. I asked for the set of books for Christmas and read the whole series. I always loved to read and be read to and I liked that they read us interesting and different books I wouldn't normally pick myself.

My worst school memory is from third grade. I don't think my teacher liked me and she always told me that my handwriting was messy. When I tried to write neater, then she told me I was writing too small. She made me feel bad even when I was really trying. At least my 4th grade teacher was really awesome!

Miss Stephanie (Atwell)
MissStephaniesClass.blogspot.com

Pam said...

I will begin with my worst memory, which was always being picked last in gym class. I was a small kid with not a lot of athletic ability. But today I am on two golf leagues, so I guess I out grew what I thought were my physical limitation.

My favorite memory was not until college, when I had a project due for an interior design class. My designs were chosen for a church to be modeled after. I was very happy and proud.

Anonymous said...

My best year in school so far was fourth grade. My teacher Mrs. Pichik was nice and made learning a lot of fun. I always enjoyed getting up in the morning to go to school that year.

My worst memory in school so far was in sixth grade. I liked my teacher, however a few of my classmates i was not really fond of. In PE class one day we were running the mile and one of my classmates tripped me and i broke my arm.

Brandi

Jen Vincent said...

Pull! When I was in kindergarten, my teacher Ms. Doss read us a story about a man trying to pull a turnip out of the ground. He couldn't get it out of the ground and he need help from many people to finally get it out. We acted out the book and pretty soon everyone was all lined up pulling on each other in a line to try and pull up the turnip just like in the story. It was fun!

I have a few memories of school when I felt frustrated because a teacher did something I didn't agree with. One memory is of a math teacher who would not go over the homework before teaching us something new. I was so upset because I felt like I couldn't learn something if I didn't understand what she had taught us the day before. Another memory was of my music theory teacher who gave us an assignment to write a piece of music but then left us ALONE in class while he went to rehearse for a concert with another class. How were we supposed to write music without being able to talk to him or ask him questions. Those are only two memories that stick out to me but those experiences bothered me sooooooo much I think they really encouraged me to be a teacher because I felt like i had an idea of what I could do to be a better teacher than those I had.

Ann said...

My worst memory is from when I was in about second grade.

My birthday is in July, so for all of my school years I never was able to bring in a “treat” to share with the class for my special day. I always felt left out because of this. One year, on the last day of school, I asked my mother if she could PLEASE bring in some cupcakes so I could pass them out in my class and celebrate my summer birthday. She said that she would try.

All day, I waited for her to show up with cupcakes. I told my teacher that my mother was coming and bringing a treat for my birthday. Finally at the end of the day, we lined up to go home. I threw myself in front of the door and cried, “WAIT, we can’t leave yet! My mother is coming with cupcakes!” The teacher gently removed me from the door and told me that it was time to go home and we couldn’t wait for my mother any longer.

It still makes me feel badly to this day!

Ann said...

One of my best moments happened when I was in middle school.

I had written a story for a contest that Kellogg’s was running and had won an award! The prize was a check for $50 and a fishing lure. The award was presented to me by the principal in front of the whole school! (You know the scenario – the end of the year and awards are given out for perfect attendance, straight A’s, etc.)

I don’t remember the story (except that it was about fishing) or even what I did with the money or certificate I received – but I sure do remember standing on the stage with everyone applauding!

Caitlin said...

I don't really have specific best and worse memories of school. However, whenever I get a good grade on a test or project, it is a good memory for me. These memories are what makes school worthwhile for me because of the hard work that I do.

A worse memory at school is when I have to do speech or presentation in front of the whole class. These never go well (at least I don't think they do). I try my hardest, and each time I do a presentation it gets a little easier.